[Hackrf-dev] Best OS/Setup for HackRF/GRC

Russell Hande zefie at persona.cc
Fri Aug 9 22:42:37 EDT 2013

Just going to throw my two cents in here regarding choosing between my
LiveDVD and Rick's distro. (as far as I know, feel free to correct me,
Rick)

1) Ubuntu is a bit easier with the packages, but my LiveDVD is just a
one time deal, where as Rick is continually updating his distro.

2) Pentoo is based on Gentoo, which means EVERY package you install
needs to be built from scratch (it will do it for you, but package
installation takes a lot longer, depending on your PC's speed)

3) Pen/Gentoo is more up to date, and Rick is more likely to fix any
problems that come along than I am.

4) However, Gentoo may not be for the light at heart or Linux newbie.

So, my two cents here is if you are comfortable with linux, go with
Rick's Pentoo distro, as if any future problems come up, I'm sure Rick
will address them in an update.