[CMCEmail] CMC Escalante River Float Trip!

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Wed Apr 17 10:51:21 EDT 2019

CMC Members,

Escalante River Float Trip coming up soon!  Contact Tim Hoover at
frisbeedog02 at yahoo.com for more information about this outing.

Late April/Early May                  8+/- Days                  Escalante
River Float Trip - Utah

The Escalante River flows through beautiful and remote backcountry in
southcentral Utah. We will do a float trip from just south of the town of
Boulder, Utah roughly to Lake Powell.  I have never done this trip before so
I can't guarantee what conditions we will encounter. However, I am expecting
the major potential obstacle to be a lack of water in the river.  That is
why I have only provided a vague timeframe for this trip. We will be
dependent on river conditions which are in turn a function of the spring
runoff.  Most years there is not enough water to make this trip feasible,
but it looks like a big snow season this year so we may have a rare
opportunity for a great adventure. If all goes well, I am anticipating a
very nice, fairly relaxed trip through some beautiful canyon country.  If
all does not go well, we may be carrying our boats for some sections, though
still through beautiful scenery.

Beyond any river issues, the big challenge may be the entrance and exit
hikes. Under ideal conditions we may be able to put in right off the road
and have no entrance hike at all.  If not, the entrance hike is roughly 10
miles across the desert.  I may be able to arrange a boat to meet us at Lake
Powell. If so, the exit will be up Hole in the Wall.  If not, we will exit a
little earlier and hike out Crack in the Wall. Both exits are fairly short
but strenuous, especially when carrying all our gear.

Due to the nature of the entrance and exit hikes, the only reasonable boats
for our trip are packrafts. These may be rented in St George (that's my
plan).

So how long will this take?  I honestly don't know.  My best guess is about
8 days but it may take a bit longer depending on conditions and how much
additional exploration people are interested in doing.  The trip is roughly
70 miles so I doubt we'll finish much faster than 8 days.

Participants should be prepared for a wide range of conditions depending on
flow conditions.

Experience packrafting useful but not required.  Participants will need to
be flexible both in timing and trip duration.  They will also need to be
prepared to spend 8 days or so completely isolated and unsupported. An
ability to schlep modestly heavy packs up steep but easy slopes is also
required.

If interested contact Tim Hoover: frisbeedog02 at yahoo.com
<mailto:frisbeedog02 at yahoo.com>

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Tim Hoover