[CMCEmail] CMC Outing This Sunday!

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Tue Nov 21 10:10:09 EST 2017

CMC Members -

Peak bagging day hike outing near San Luis Obispo this Sunday!  Contact Sean
Casserly at  <mailto:casserly79 at gmail.com> casserly79 at gmail.com to get on
this outing.

November 26th                       Sunday                    Mt Lopez
Exploration Hike

Mt Lopez is an obscure peak located deep within the Santa Lucia Wilderness
about an hour outside of San Luis Obispo. The peak has only 1 registered
ascent, and is on the controversial California Coastal Peak List. While not
very high, the peak has over 1,000 ft of prominence, and is protected by
thick coastal vegetation, such as Manzanita brush, Chaparral and poison oak.
I made an attempt at the peak last weekend, but turned around due to time.
The good news is I was able to hack the first 6.25 miles with a machete, and
now this section of trail is completely cleared. All that remains is 2 more
miles of badly overgrown trail and straight out bushwhack. The hike would be
16 miles round trip and about 2,000 ft of gain. Ax, machete and/or clippers
is required. My goal is to clear a route to the summit so others will be
able to enjoy this peak in the future. I think this trip would be hard work,
but also very rewarding; a real adventure.

Please see my Trip Report on Peakbagger.com
<http://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=894483>
http://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=894483

If you have any interest/ideas, please contact Sean Casserly (
<mailto:casserly79 at gmail.com> casserly79 at gmail.com).

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Sean Casserly