[CMCEmail] Knee Surgery Research

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Thu Nov 2 00:14:50 EDT 2017

Hi Dennis,

I understand your reluctance to have your knee replaced. With the newer techniques, you can still climb mountains with artificial knees, but the range of motion would probably interfere with serious rock climbing. I found a surgeon who replaces knees with a computer controlled robotic arm. His name is Jaime Hernandez <https://www.scoi.com/our-experts/jaime-d-hernandez-md?scoi=omg>. The alignment is really excellent.

I had both knees replaced (one at a time). Each time, I was walking the next day and the pain wasn’t that bad. After the surgery, I did some class II climbs and think I could do still do class III. Most years, I do lots of backpacking, downhill and telemark skiing (never was a great telemarker, but I get to huts OK). I have done some 20 mile day hikes including down and back up in remote parts of the Grand Canyon. Not ideal, but OK for a 67 year old woman. What I really miss is running.

Hope this helps,
Jan Rayman