[CMCEmail] Another CMC Outing Added to the Schedule!

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Mon Apr 3 11:40:14 EDT 2017

CMC Members-

The following outing has just been added to the schedule:
Note:  for the complete outings schedule, visit our website (
<http://californiamountaineer.net/> http://californiamountaineer.net/)

April 25th - 30th                      Tuesday - Sunday
Escalante River Float Trip

The Escalante River flows through some beautiful and remote backcountry in
southcentral Utah. We will do a float trip from just south of the town of
Boulder, Utah to Lake Powell. I have never done this trip before so I can't
guarantee what conditions we will encounter. However, I am expecting the
major potential obstacle to be a lack of water in the river. There should be
no sections of whitewater. If all goes well, I am anticipating a very nice,
fairly relaxed trip through some beautiful canyon country. If all does not
go well, we may be carrying our boats for some sections, though still
through beautiful scenery.

Beyond any river issues, the big challenge will be the entrance and exit
hikes. The entrance hike is roughly 10 miles across the desert. The exit
will either be up Crack in the Wall, or Hole in the Wall depending on how
far we decide to go. Both exits are fairly strenuous, especially when
carrying all our gear.

Due to the nature of the entrance and exit hikes, the only reasonable boats
for our trip are pack-rafts. These may be rented in St George (that's my
plan).

Participants do not need any particular technical skills, but they will need
a capacity for suffering, an interest in exploration and an ability to carry
a full pack for 10 miles or so.

If interested contact Tim Hoover: frisbeedog02 at yahoo.com

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Tim Hoover