[CMCEmail] Bear locker changes

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Tue Sep 4 17:39:06 EDT 2012

I wanted to let everyone know about some changes that have taken place that may affect you in your backcountry travels.

I've just returned from an 8 day backpack trip from Onion Valley to South Lake.  We had an excellent trip and also learned a few things it would have been nice to know prior to our departure!

On our first night we ran into a locked bear locker at Kearsarge Lakes.  We had planned to use the bear lockers and planned our first few days based on their location.  A ranger came by later that evening and we were offered an explanation.

Apparently many, if not ALL, bear lockers, not on the John Muir Trail, have been locked and may be removed completely in the future.  This is for several reasons;
- JMT/PCT hikers had been using/abusing them for food drops.  Getting food dropped off prematurely or even cancelling their trips after the food had been dropped.
- People had been leaving garbage in them which became a source of odor.
- Last but not least, the NPS is currently being sued for using these bear lockers as they are considered an addition to the wilderness

At this time bear lockers on the JMT have apparently not been affected.  Not to say they won't be in the future.  My guess is pending the outcome of the lawsuit they would ALL be affected one way or another.

If you, like I, had been planning to use the bear lockers as a supplement to a bear can this change could leave you in an interesting position!  Safe food storage may not be available!

Be aware!!

Paul Morash