[CMCEmail] CMC December Outings Schedule

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Tue Dec 21 19:46:09 EST 2010

NOTE: IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE ON A CMC OUTING YOU MUST BE A MEMBER OF THE
CMC

January 15th – 16th Saturday – Sunday
Mojave Desert

Moderate class 1-2 climb of the highpoint of Clipper Mountain (4,593’)
while camping at Hole-in-the-Wall Campground in the Mojave National
Preserve. Contact leader at: <mailto:terryjflood at gmail.com>
terryjflood at gmail.com.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Terry Flood and Henry Arnebold

January 22nd Saturday
San Gorgonio Snow Day

Grab your skis, snowshoes, or split board, and join me for a fun day of
winter conditioning while touring the San Gorgonio Wilderness. We will meet
at the South Fork Trailhead, and depending on conditions, we’ll either head
for Dry Lake, or the north slope/couloir on Charlton Peak. Send e-mail with
experience and conditioning to Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net. LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White

February 18th -20th Friday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always on safety
and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs for rock
leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives everyone plenty
to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a campfire Saturday
night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be limited on this
trip, so carpooling is a must. Send SASE with experience or e-mail Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Ron Norton

March 4th- 6th Friday - Sunday
Winter Membership Outing

This year’s Winter Membership Outing snow camp will be held in Sardine
Canyon, just north of Onion Valley Road. Join us for one, two or three days
of snow camping, practicing snow skills, and/or skiing and snowshoeing. We
plan to practice snow anchors, ice axe arrest, “Z” and “C” crevasse rescue
systems, roped team travel and fixed line travel. From a turnout two miles
above Seven Pines at 7,100’ on Onion Valley Road you will have the option to
hike, snowshoe, or ski, ¾ mile over easy level terrain to our snow camp in
Sardine Canyon. Send email with experience/conditioning to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White, Jan Lorenzen, Tom Ritchie, Ron Norton

March 18th -20th Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always on safety
and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs for rock
leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives everyone plenty
to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a campfire Saturday
night at our Sheep Pass group campsite. Parking will be limited on this
trip, so carpooling is a must. Send SASE with experience or e-mail Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Jan Lorenzen

March 31st – April 3rd Thursday – Sunday
Mount Whitney Winter Ascent

This trip will provide an opportunity for a winter ascent of Mount Whitney
(14,491’) via the Mountaineer’s Route. Depending on the snow level, we will
need to hike/snowshoe at least 1-2 miles up the road to the trailhead. To
accommodate short winter days and heavy winter packs our approach to Iceberg
Lake will take two days. We plan to summit on the third day, and snowshoe
out/drive home on the fourth day. Snowshoes, ice axe and crampons and
excellent physical condition required. Send email experience and
conditioning to Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net or Tom at <mailto:tritchie at rkmattorneys.com>
tritchie at rkmattorneys.com. LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Tom Ritchie

April 8th -10th Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always on safety
and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs for rock
leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives everyone plenty
to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a campfire Saturday
night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be limited on this
trip, so carpooling is a must. Send SASE with experience or e-mail Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Jan Lorenzen

May 13th -15th Friday-Sunday
Mary Austin (13,040’)

Join me for this splendid spring snow climb in the Sierra. Friday backpack
in and set up camp above Summit Meadow. Saturday climb the North Couloir on
Mary Austin (13,040’). Sunday, break camp, hike out and drive home. 12+/-
total miles, with 7,000’+ total gain. Ice axe and crampons required. Note:
Depending on the group, we may hike out on Saturday afternoon, to allow for
breakfast at the Alabama Hills Cafe Sunday morning. Send email with
experience/conditioning to Joe White at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Joe White

June (10 days) Friday-Sunday
Oregon Climbing Road Trip

Note: we will firm up the dates sometime in March. On this road trip we
will attempt to climb as many as 6 Oregon Cascade Peaks, and perhaps a day
of rock climbing at Smith Rocks. Mt. McLoughlin (9,494’), Mt. Bachelor
(9,065’), South Sister (10,358’), Middle Sister (10,047’), North Sister
(10,085’), and Mt. Hood (11,239’). We are planning to rent a large van, and
split all of the travel/fuel costs. Friday, drive to Shasta City. Saturday,
drive to Mt. McLoughlin and climb it. Sunday, visit Crater Lake, and drive
to Mt. Bachelor. Monday, climb Mt. Bachelor, drive to Bend and stay in a
hotel. Tuesday and Wednesday climb the Sisters. Thursday and Friday, drive
north and climb Mt. Hood, and stay in a hotel near Portland Friday night.
Saturday and Sunday, drive home. We plan to take four additional climbers
with us, and we will make our final decision on the climbing team in late
March or early April. Excellent physical condition is required on this
outing. Send email with experience/conditioning to Joe White at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Ron Norton

July 16th -17th Saturday-Sunday
San Gorgonio – 9 Peaks

Here’s an opportunity to climb 9 peaks in one weekend! The trip will start
in Angeles Oaks, head east along the ridgeline towards San Gorgonio Peak,
and descend the Vivian Creek trailhead. 28 +/- total miles. On Saturday,
shuttle cars and hike in 9.9+/- miles to East San Bernardino Peak (10,691’),
and stay the night. On Sunday, continue on towards San Gorgonio Peak and
exit out the Vivian Creek trail. Peaks include: San Bernardino Peak
(10,624), East San Bernardino Peak (10,691), Anderson Peak (10,864), Shields
Peak (10,701), Alto Diablo Peak (10,430), Charlton Peak (10,806), Little
Charlton Peak (10,676), Jepson Peak (11,205), and San Gorgonio Peak
(11,499). Send e-mail and conditioning to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.
LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Dave Chapman

August 5th -7th
Friday-Sunday Summer Friends/Family

Membership Outing

The annual CMC Summer Outing location will be in the Eastern Sierra, west of
Tom’s Place, in Rock Creek Canyon at the East Fork Campground. We have four
campsites reserved for Friday and Saturday night. Each site has space for 6
people and 2 vehicles, and additional parking is available for a $5.00 fee.
This outing/location has something for everyone - climbing, hiking, mountain
biking, fishing, site seeing or just hanging out in camp. If you’re
interested in a specific activity, please make arrangements with others on
the trip roster. Friends and family are welcome, but MUST be accompanied by
a CMC member. Please contact Joe White at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net for
additional information. LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Henry Arnebold

August 25th -28th Thursday-Sunday
Polemonium Peak and Mt. Sill

Join Henry and me as we pass through the most beautiful alpine scenery in
the High Sierra, and attempt two fourteen thousand foot peaks. Polemonium
Peak (14,000’) and Mt. Sill (14,162’). Thursday afternoon, backpack to Lon
Chaney’s cabin (2.5+/- miles). Friday, backpack to Gayley camp. Saturday,
climb Polemonium Peak and Mount Sill, via the North Couloir (Class 4).
Sunday, break camp, hike out and drive home. Harness, helmet, ice axe and
ATC required, and be in good shape. Send email with experience/conditioning
to Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Henry Arnebold

September 9th -11th Friday-Sunday
Thunderbolt Peak

This trip will provide an opportunity to climb Thunderbolt Peak (14,000’).
Friday, backpack in over Bishop Pass and set up camp in upper Dusy Basin
just north of Thunderbolt Pass. Saturday, climb Thunderbolt Peak (14,000’),
via the Southwest Chute #1 (Class 5). Sunday, break camp, hike out and
drive home. Harness, helmet and ATC required, and excellent physical
condition is required. Send email with experience/conditioning to Joe at