[CMCEmail] Mt. Russell on October 4

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Sat Sep 12 16:53:30 EDT 2009

A wilderness permit is needed for a day trip up the standard east ridge route on Mt. Russell. Note the following blurb on the Inyo National Forest website:

"Mt. Whitney Zone Day Use Quota applies for all day hikes into the Mt. Whitney Zone.
This affects all visitors that will day hike into the Mt. Whitney Zone and includes all trails, cross country travel, including the Mountaineers Route, East Face/ East Buttress and other summits within the Mt Whitney Zone. Day use of North Fork of Lone Pine Creek trail is included in the Mt. Whitney Day Use quota of 100 people each day."

Much of the standard east ridge route on Mt. Russell is in the Mt. Whitney Zone:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/zonelarge.shtml