[CMCEmail] Best southern Sierra peak route? (a climbing suggestion...)

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Tue Sep 1 13:17:27 EDT 2009

Hi Sam!

a "fourteener" in the Inyo NF on the eastern side of Owens
Valley? Considering your tight time frame to do a peak this might be
a choice. Accessible, not many people, easy route finding, a good
workout, no permit required and a great view! The Inyo NF map and
warm clothes are the basic essentials. Drive N. on rte. 395 to Big
Pine and go E. to Westgard Pass and then N on a paved road which
becomes good dirt. Gas up in Big Pine. Primitive camping is
available in NF areas outside the Bristlecone Pine natural area. You
could camp at the locked gate a couple of miles S of the hi altitude
research station but it's not ideal. The hike is essentially on a
primitive road (open to mtn bikes) which leads to the old cabin on
the summit. Elev. gain is ~ 3000'. Sounds easy but the
elevation (and view) may leave you breathless! Good hiking! fm Gail
Hanna (San Diego).