[CMCEmail] Outings Schedule

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Wed Dec 30 00:09:42 EST 2009

CMC Members,

The latest CMC schedule has been approved, and here it is!

January 9th Saturday
Mount Baldy

Snow climb of Mt. Baldy from Manker Flats. Hike to San Antonio Ski Hut and
then ascend one of the gullies of the Baldy Bowl. Crampons, ice axe, and
helmet required. Snow shoes or skis may also be needed for approach/descent.
Lack of snow may cancel. Contact Bill (bill562 at sbcglobal.net).
LEADER/ORGANIZER: Bill Stevens

Jan 23rd – 24th Saturday – Sunday
"Little Picacho"

This is the lowest peak on the DPS list and one of the most enjoyable little
adventures. Round trip is ~6 miles, with 1500' gain; about 8 hours, because
of the logistics, requiring belays, rappels, some aid climbing and lots of
air. We'll plan to drive down Saturday, have a pre-climb potluck/happy hour
and campfire (if it's cool enough) and get a dawn start on Sunday. Rock
shoes not required (unless you want to try the 5.8ish sections). Contact
Asher w/questions ( <mailto:amuirman at yahoo.com> amuirman at yahoo.com) and to
reserve.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Asher Waxman, Henry Arnebold, Jan Lorenzen.

January 30th -31st Saturday - Sunday
Backcountry Ski Tour/Snowshoe

Join me for a weekend of fun backcountry skiing in the San Gorgonio
Wilderness, in Southern California. Any skis will do (AT, BC, Tele), split
boards and snowshoes welcome too. This is a great opportunity to do some
winter camping/conditioning, and tour the San Gorgonio Wilderness.
Saturday, ski/snowshoe in and set up camp near Dry Lake. Sunday, ski or
snowshoe before breaking camp, heading out and driving home. Winter camping
gear required. Send e-mail with experience and conditioning to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White

February 4th Thursday
Board of Directors Meeting

All members are welcome. Please contact Henry Arnebold
(harnebold at gmail.com) for location and time.

February 6th Saturday
Mount Baldy

Mount Baldy snow climb. We will follow the Ski Hut Trail from Manker Flat
(6165’) to the Ski Hut (8200’). From there we will choose one of the chutes
to climb. The descent will take us over the Devils Backbone and down the
chairlifts. Crampons, Ice Axe and Helmet are required. Climb will be
dependent on conditions. Send email with snow travel experience and
conditioning to Brian at: <mailto:brian306 at gmail.com> brian306 at gmail.com

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Brian Beach

February 12th-14th Friday - Sunday
Alabama Hills

Join us for Rock Climbing in Alabama Hills. The Alabama Hills lie west of
Highway 395 and the town of Lone Pine, below Mt. Whitney. The area is
mostly sport climbing with some moderate trad lines sprinkled in between.
There will be plenty to do for the experienced leader or those that just
would like to top rope. We will camp at Tuttle Creek to minimize impact on
the area. Send email with experience/conditioning to Brian at:
<mailto:brian306 at gmail.com> brian306 at gmail.com

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Brian Beach and Ron Norton

February 20th – 21st Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Join us for rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always
on safety and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs
for rock leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives
everyone plenty to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a
campfire Saturday night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be
limited on this trip, so carpooling is a must. Send SASE with experience or
e-mail Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Jan Lorenzen

February 26th-28th Friday - Sunday
Winter Membership Outing

Join us for one, two or three days of snow camping, skiing, snowshoeing and
practicing some snow skills, in Rock Creek Canyon. We plan to spend most of
the time skiing, snowshoeing, or doing some nearby snow climbs. For those
interested, there will also be an option to practice ice axe self-arrest and
other snow skills. From the Snow Park parking lot, you will have the option
to hike, snowshoe, or ski, ½ to ¾ mile over easy terrain to our snow camp.
As an added bonus, we will be making dinner reservations at the Rock Creek
Lodge for Saturday night. Also, depending on the group, and interest, we
will consider a half day of ice climbing at Lee Vining on Saturday or
Sunday. Send email with experience/conditioning to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White, Jan Lorenzen, Tom Ritchie, Ron Norton.

March 13th – 14th Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Join us for rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always
on safety and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs
for rock leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives
everyone plenty to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a
campfire Saturday night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be
limited on this trip, so carpooling is a must. Send SASE with experience or
e-mail Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Jan Lorenzen

March 20th Saturday
Ontario Peak

It’s time to get the rust off of those crampons, and get into the winter
climbing season! Falling Rock Canyon is the most direct route to the summit
of Ontario Peak, and a nice simulation of a Sierra peak. We’ll hike barely
¼-mile into Icehouse Canyon before we cross the creek and head into the
canyon. Snow level will determine where we put on our crampons. Ice-ax and
crampons are required, and snow shoes may also be needed. (We’ll make that
call at the trailhead.) For those of you who are going on the Whitney trip
next week, this may be your last chance to warm up with a nice little climb,
so come join us! Send email experience and conditioning to Bob at
<mailto:bobopp1 at yahoo.com> bobopp1 at yahoo.com or Dave at
<mailto:davidjhankins at verizon.net> davidjhankins at verizon.net

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Bob Oppermann and David Hankins

March 25th – 28th Thursday – Sunday
Mount Whitney Winter Ascent

This trip will provide an opportunity for a winter ascent of Mount Whitney
(14,491’) via the Mountaineer’s Route. Depending on the snow level, we will
need to hike/snowshoe at least 1-2 miles up the road to the trailhead. To
accommodate short winter days and heavy winter packs our approach to Iceberg
Lake will take two days. We plan to summit on the third day, and snowshoe
out/drive home on the fourth day. Snowshoes, ice axe and crampons required.
Send email experience and conditioning to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net or Tom at
<mailto:tritchie at rkmattorneys.com> tritchie at rkmattorneys.com.
LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Tom Ritchie and Joe White

April 2nd – 11th. Friday - Sunday
Eastern Sierra Base camp

I’m going to be spending a long week in the eastern Sierra and am looking
for people who would like to join me for all or part of the time. No real
plan at this point – that will be determined when we see who is interested
and what they want to do. General idea is to car camp and then spend a day
(or 2) climbing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, or hiking. Overnight
backcountry trips, resort skiing and fly fishing (Lower Owens) are also
options – it’s all good! Sound like fun? Send me an email and we’ll go
from there (
<file:///\\sunfish\ducksoup_user\USER\rnorton\Personal\Ron's%20Personal%20fo
lder\CMC\rsnorton473 at yahoo.com> rsnorton473 at yahoo.com)

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Ron Norton

April 10th – 11th Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Join us for rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always
on safety and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs
for rock leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives
everyone plenty to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a
campfire Saturday night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be
limited on this trip, so carpooling is a must. Send SASE with experience or
e-mail Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Jan Lorenzen

April 22nd–26th Thursday-Monday
White Mountain (14,246’)

This is a classic high-altitude winter mountaineering ski traverse. We will
attempt (our second try!) a multi-day ski trip to the summit of White
Mountain from Westgard Pass. Skiers only. Depending on snow conditions and
road accessibility, 40 to 50+/- roundtrip miles, with 5,000’+ gain.
Thursday afternoon, meet on White Mountain Road and ski in several miles
before dark. Friday - Sunday, ski towards summit and attempt summit climb.
Monday, ski out and drive home. Note: this route is subject to extreme
temperatures, violent winter storms that could last several days, and
blowing snow conditions. Send email with experience and conditioning to Joe
White at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Ron Norton and Joe White

April 30th - May 2nd Friday - Sunday
Mount Tom (13,652') and

Basin Mountain (13,240')

These peaks are located just NW of Bishop. Ice axe, crampons and helmet are
required. Friday morning drive or hike to the Horton Lakes trailhead at 8K
(requires a high clearance vehicle). Alternatively, leave vehicles at the
2WD TH (adds 1 mile to the hike). Hike 3.5 miles to lower Horton Lake (10K).
Leave the heavy packs here and climb Basin via the Class 2 North Slope and
come back to camp. Saturday climb Mt.Tom via Tungstar Mine or variation
depending on snow conditions (Class 2-3) and come back to camp. Sunday -
hike out and drive home. Email experience/conditioning info to:
<http://us.mc1135.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=bill562@sbcglobal.net>
bill562 at sbcglobal.net

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Bill Stevens

May 6th Thursday
Board of Directors Meeting

All members are welcome. Please contact Henry Arnebold
(harnebold at gmail.com) for location and time.

May 14th – 16th Friday - Sunday
Lone Pine and Mallory

Join Brian and me for a three day weekend of climbing fun in the Meysan Lake
area. This trip will provide an opportunity to climb Lone Pine Peak
(12,944’), and Mallory (13,850’). Friday, backpack in and set up camp near
Meysan Lake, and climb Lone Pine Peak. Saturday, climb Mallory. Sunday,
break camp, hike out and drive home. Ice axe, crampons and helmet required.
Note: Depending on the group, we may hike out on Saturday afternoon, to
allow for rock climbing in the Alabama Hills Sunday morning. Send email
with experience/conditioning to Joe White at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Brian Beach and Joe White

June 25th – 27th Friday – Sunday
Cottonwood Pass to Whitney Portal

This trip will require a car shuttle which will happen Thursday evening so
we can leave by 7:00AM Friday. We will head up Cottonwood Pass then take a
right turn and head cross country over Trailmaster Peak, Peak 12,525, Cirque
Peak and on to Langley (14,026). We will spend Friday night at Soldier
Lake. Saturday we will hike to Guitar Lake (11,600), approx 14 miles.
Sunday we will go up to Trail Crest, drop the packs and climb Mt. Muir
(14,015) and then to Mt. Whitney (14,496). Head back, pick up packs and
descend to Whitney Portal. ( 3rd & 4th class climbing). Send email
to:jlorenzen1 at cox.net

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Jan Lorenzen

July 10th Saturday
9 Peaks – San Gorgonio

We will start at Angeles Oaks and end at Vivian Creed Trailhead. The 9
peaks are along the ridge:

San Bernardino Peak (10,624), East San Bernardino Peak (10,691), Anderson
(10,864), Shields (10,701), Alto Diablo (10,430), Charlton Peak (10,806),
Little Charlton (10,676), Jepson Peak (11,205) and San Gorgonio (11,499).
Overall, ~26 miles with ~8K gain/loss. I almost forgot

..we will be
starting around 1:00ish AM. email me at: jlorenzen1 at cox.net

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Jan Lorenzen

July 31st - August 1st Saturday/Sunday
Middle Palisade (14,012’)-NE Face

Bag a 14,000 footer with us. Middle Palisade is situated in the center of
the highest continuous ridge along the Sierra Crest. We will pack in on
Saturday morning from Glacier Lodge trailhead along the South Fork of Big
Pine Creek trail and set up camp above Finger Lake. Early Sunday morning
our route to the peak will be the 3d class Northeast Face. Upon our
descent, we will break camp and head back to the trailhead and home.
Helmet, ice axe and crampons required for this outing, as well as good
conditioning. We are limiting the outing to 6 participants including the 2
leaders. Send email with experience and recent conditioning work to Brian
Beach and Augie Medina at <mailto:brian306 at gmail.com> brian306 at gmail.com
and <mailto:amedina364 at aol.com> amedina364 at aol.com .

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Brian Beach and Augie Medina

August 5th Thursday
Board of Directors Meeting

All members are welcome. Please contact Henry Arnebold
(harnebold at gmail.com) for location and time.

August Friday - Sunday
Summer Friends/Family

Membership Outing

The annual CMC Summer Outing (exact dates will be announced later) location
will be in the Eastern Sierra, west of Tom’s Place, in Rock Creek Canyon at
the East Fork Campground. We have four campsites reserved for Friday and
Saturday night. Each site has space for 6 people and 2 vehicles, additional
parking is available for a $5.00 fee. This outing has something for
everyone - climbing, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, site seeing or just
hanging out in camp. Friends and family are welcome, but MUST be
accompanied by a CMC member. Please contact Joe White at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net for
additional information.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Henry Arnebold

August 20th - 22nd Friday – Sunday
Matterhorn Peak

Matterhorn Peak is just South of Bridgeport, CA. and is the highest peak in
the Sawtooth Ridge group. Matterhorn Peak is 12,279 ft and resembles the
original Matterhorn of Switzerland when viewed from below its north face.
We will be taking the Twin Lakes trailhead to our camp. There are many good
routes on the mountain and I am looking at the East Couloir (Class 3) or The
Maze, II, 5.6. Email me: jlorenzen1 at cox.net

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Jan Lorenzen

Aug. 27th – 29th
Friday – Sunday Clyde Minaret

Join us for a trip to the top of the tallest of the Minarets. Friday
backpack in to camp, Saturday make our attempt on the class 3/4 Rock Route
of the Clyde Minaret. Time permitting; we may have the option to pack out
on Saturday after our summit attempt. If not, pack out on Sunday and head
for home! Helmet & harness required. Drop Ron (
<file:///\\sunfish\ducksoup_user\USER\rnorton\Personal\Ron's%20Personal%20fo
lder\CMC\rsnorton473 at yahoo.com> rsnorton473 at yahoo.com) or Paul (
<mailto:climberpm at yahoo.com> climberpm at yahoo.com) an email with recent
conditioning and experience.

LEADERS/ORGANIZER: Paul Morash and Ron Norton

September 8th -12th Wednesday - Sunday
Thunderbolt/Polemonium

Join me for some climbing fun and adventure, and an opportunity to climb two
fourteeners, heading west over Bishop Pass, and into the upper Palisade
Basin. Wednesday, backpack in and set up camp in upper Dusy Basin just
north of Thunderbolt Pass. Thursday, backpack into the upper Palisade Basin
north of Barrett Lakes and climb Columbine (12,652’) via the Northeast Slope
(class 2). Friday, climb Thunderbolt (14,000’), via the Southwest Chute #1
(class 3). Saturday, climb Polemonium (14,000’) via the top of the U-Notch
(5.2). Sunday, break camp, hike out and drive home. Harness, helmet and
ATC required. Send email with experience/conditioning to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Joe White

September 18th – 19th Saturday – Sunday
Mt. Morrison and Mt. Baldwin

We will approach these climbs from Convict Lake and camp at Bright Dot Lake.
Saturday we will scramble up Mt. Morrison (12,268) and Sunday we will climb
Baldwin (12,614) Class 3+. Send email to Jan: jlorenzen1 at cox.net

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Jan Lorenzen

October 9th -10th Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always on safety
and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs for rock
leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives everyone plenty
to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a campfire Saturday
night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be limited on this
trip, so carpooling is a must. Send email with experience to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Ron Norton

November 4th Thursday
Board of Directors Meeting

All members are welcome. Please contact Henry Arnebold
(harnebold at gmail.com) for location and time.

November 13th -14th Saturday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park. Our focus is always on safety
and having fun! We continually are able to find a variety climbs for rock
leaders and for those who just want to top rope. This gives everyone plenty
to work on at their own pace. Dinner at Edchadas and a campfire Saturday
night at our Indian Cove group campsite. Parking will be limited on this
trip, so carpooling is a must. Send email with experience to Joe at
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Jan Lorenzen

December 3th -5th Friday/Sunday
Joshua Tree