[Cmcemail] Fwd: Polemonium Aug. 23

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Fri Aug 15 17:58:06 EDT 2008

Rick,

Paul Morash just asked me about the traverse.? Your questions are answered in my reply to him below.

Hey Paul,

Good to hear from you.? The traverse we did was Thunderbolt to Sill.? We started at South Lake and exited North Fork Big Pine.? Took us about 25 hours but that included a full 1 hour rest stop on the way out.? The hardest part by far is the exit - coming down from Sill via L-Couloir to Gayley Notch, Camp Gayley, the moraine, Sam Mack Meadow and finally the trail seemed virtually endless at the end of hiking, climbing and scrambling since 2 a.m.

Definitely the most fun?was the T-Bolt summit block and the Milk Bottle.? One of the my partners led the T-Bolt block and then?our other partner and I?got? bottom roped.? I led the Milk Bottle.? Across the crest, we had sustained 4th class climbing and free soloed several low 5th class sections.? Besides the summit blocks, we used our rope (30m) to rappel down to the U-Notch from North Pal.?

This traverse is a fantastic experience.?? You would love it.? We will soon have a TR on the traverse on SummitPost. Hope to see you on a trip soon.?

Augie