[CharterSchools] Board Member Focus: Clyde Mitchell

charterschools at LACharter.org charterschools at LACharter.org
Thu Mar 19 12:06:23 EDT 2015

   Board Member Focus: Clyde Mitchell

   Lake Charles and Southwest Charter Academy Foundation

Why did you choose to serve?
I wanted to make a difference in education in the state of Louisiana by offering a choice when it comes to the education of our youth.

How did you become involved in your school?
As one of the founding members we did extensive research in the area of Charter Schools. We looked at various models of running a Charter School and the advantages and disadvantages of utilizing management companies to run the school.

What leadership roles have you had while serving on the board?
I serve as the Secretary/Treasurer of the Board.
How can people help your school if they are interested?
Supporting legislation that enhances the Charter School agenda. In addition become more involved on a local level by visiting and volunteering at the school.

     The Top Shelf

     The success of a charter school hinges largely on the decisions of its governing board. The Top Shelf enhances the capacity of charter school boards through professional development, board recruitment and community engagement.