[COG email blast] Ash Wednesday Service

admin at bpcog.org admin at bpcog.org
Tue Mar 8 10:01:18 EST 2011

ASH WEDNESDAY SERVICE

March 9th at 7:30 p.m. in the Parish House.

Traditionally, Lent recalls the 40 days Jesus fasted in the wilderness.
Those 40 weekdays (not Sundays) begin with Ash Wednesday and conclude the
Saturday before Easter. We will host additional services during this
season: Ash Wednesday (March 9, 7:30 PM), Maundy-Thursday (April 21, 7:30
PM), and possibly Good Friday. Liturgically, the church remembers this as
the time “Jesus set his face to go to Jerusalem.” No longer is Jesus the
itinerant teacher traveling from one town to another. During Lent we watch
as he moves closer and closer to Jerusalem, the center of Jewish religion
and Roman politics in Judah, not far from where he was born in Bethlehem.
There Jesus will be tried and crucified; there Jesus will reveal God’s
power over death as we transition into Easter, with two services on April
24th. The crux of our faith is lived from Lent to Easter so I encourage
you to attend church, deepen your personal commitment to Christ, and reach
out in care to others in the fellowship and community as Jesus did.

Bloomfield Presbyteria Church on the Green
147 Broad Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003